Design Integration Lead
Thetus Corporation, Portland OR June 2012 — Present
I lead a team that is responsible for the delivery of visual design at Thetus Corporation. This includes the Thetus.com corporate website, Thetus Hub our corporate intra-net, professional services contract support, and our core product — The Savanna Platform. I formed the design integration team as a small group of designers and developers to ensure consistency and quality of product for our end users.
- I initiated key long term projects vital to the companies success: Thetus.com, Thetus Hub and a Custom UI Toolkit, providing improved communication and increased efficiencies for over 50 developers.
- I collaborate with UX Design, Product Management, Business Development, Customer Support and Development Operations to ensure we meet and exceed our contractual obligations totaling over six million dollars.
- I envisioned a reusable set of visual components and oversaw the visual design, documentation and construction of the Thetus UIKit, increasing ui developer productivity by at least 50%
- I ensure all team members are productive by running down requirements and filtering direction from each department, estimating and measuring results with tools like Jira.
- I established a team to supplement my own strengths at Thetus filling an important need for design accuracy at a very engineering focused company.
- I setup weekly one on ones with my five directs to provide feedback, deepen relationships and ensure successful projects.
UI Front–End Developer
Thetus Corporation, Portland OR Mar 2011 — June 2012
Worked with design and service developers to realize the vision of new products through collaboration, application design and development. Implement front-end application code for a large-scale analysis solution. Share and train technical knowledge with up-and-coming developers.
- Developed code with attention to design, tweaking user interface interactions to provide a better user experience.
- Adaptable, picked up new technologies such as Flex, Maven, and Actionscript in a few weeks.
- Worked to reduce technical debt or re-factor code that had quite a few bugs associated with it.
- Established Cross functional relationships that allow me to be flexible and successful in my own commitments.
Webmaster / Graphic Designer
Thetus Corporation, Portland OR Mar 2010 — Mar 2011
As sole web developer, designer and web administrator for Thetus, I was responsible for our corporate web site direction and execution. In addition I assisted the design team with production graphic design work for trade shows and branding, as well as interactive prototypes to help develop new business.
- Delivered Thetus.com on a tight time-line to drive new business at trade shows, while competing for internal resources with other releases.
- Worked to develop a sense of focus for the website by distilling the primary navigation down to three core elements
- Integrated 3rd party services such as Salesforce, Jobvite, Youtube and Facebook Events to make things easier to update, maintain, to develop sales leads and provide better access to talent.
Web Architect / Design Consultant
Freelance Developer, Portland OR July 2009 — September 2013
Collaborated with clients and designers to build clean websites to visual specifications. Optimized visual specifications from Adobe Illustrator files to ensure optimum download speed. Participated in the PCC Web Advisory Committee, advising College Professors on emerging best practices and technologies for their CS curriculum.
- Highly valued as a resource for bouncing ideas and design recommendations.
- Collaborated with clients and designers to build clean and fresh designs that would meet clients visual and code requirements.
- Enabled clients to save time by deploying sites so that they can update their own content quickly and easily.
- Coded semantic HTML/CSS/JQuery and SEO–friendly code to provide a fully accessible website, ensuring compatibility with major web browsers.
- Implemented several customized Wordpress websites as well as some fully dynamic websites, enabling clients to self manage their content.
- Updated over 400 images for a client in 2 days – reconstructed wood frames from poorly taken photographs.
Bachelors of Science in Computer Science
Calvin College, Grand Rapids, MI Completed 2002